This year, you are expected to read for minimum of forty minutes every weeknight as part of your English class.
Wide reading is the best way to improve your literacy skills – including spelling, grammar, punctuation, vocabulary and expression.
If you’re someone who thinks that reading is boring, you need to change the way that you think about reading. If you find yourself thinking this, remind yourself that reading is important. If you change the way you think reading, you can change the way you feel.
Psychologists agree that if you can do something every single day, for twenty one days, you will form a habit. So, if you can make yourself read every night for twenty one days, then reading won’t seem like a chore ever again. Picking up a book will become habit.
FINDING A GOOD BOOK
Finding an entertaining novel is crucial. If you’re not enjoying what you’re reading, if it’s too difficult or too boring, find something else.
So how do you find a decent book?
• Favourite authors. Think about authors you’ve enjoyed reading in the past. If you’ve enjoyed one book by one author, chances are that you’ll enjoy something else that they’ve written.
• Libraries. Your school library will have a well-stocked collection of fiction. Your local library is also a great place to get your hands on books. If you’re having difficulty finding a book, strike up a conversation with the librarian. Librarians are really knowledgeable when it comes to books and will, more than likely, be happy to help you find something.
• Friends. If you’re looking for something to read, talk to your friends. They’ll be able to suggest things that they’ve enjoyed. It’s also fun to talk about books that you’re enjoying with other people.
• Teachers. Most English teachers are self-confessed book nerds who will be more than happy to suggest titles you might be interested in.
• Reading challenge. If you’re in Australia, many states and territories hold an annual Reading Challenge to encourage young adults to read more. Even if you don’t want to participate in the competition, you can still take advantage of the recommended reading list.
• Social networking. Sites like Goodreads and Shelfari allow you to keep track of the books you’ve read, set goals for yourself and are a great way to discover new books and new authors. Goodreads even has an app for the iPhone and iPad. If you’re going to join a social networking site, talk to your parents and observe basic cyber safety rules.
• Book stores. Book stores are a great place to browse for books and pick up something new to read. Online bookstores like Book Depository and Amazonare a great place to browse for titles because they recommend titles similar to the ones you’re interested in. This is a great way to discover new authors and new books.
• Ebooks. Devices like the iPad and the Amazon Kindle are great ways to get books immediately. What’s more is that there are many classic books likePride and Prejudice and The War of the Worlds that are available for free.
• Audio books. If you’re someone who likes to get exercise, buying an audio book is a great way to do two things at once. You can purchase audiobooks through iTunes and Amazon.